Monday, May 20, 2013

SPD RedCarpet // Maira Chiodi


Good morning everyone!

Welcome to SPD RedCarpet, the series dedicated to surface pattern designers and their work. Today's guest is Brazilian Maira Chiodi.


Hi Maira, tell us a bit about yourself.
I was born in São Paulo, Brazil. I spent almost all my life in another city over there, Belo Horizonte, but 4 years ago I moved to Montreal. I have a degree in Fine Arts and have worked as a full time graphic designer back in Brazil, until I "came out of the closet", and became a full time illustrator, mostly for the children's market. Recently I've graduated from The Art and Business of Surface Pattern Design and now I'm also looking for opportunities to work as a pattern designer.
What is it that you like about patterns? Which one is your favorite pattern style?
I think they can make almost everything look prettier, more interesting. I love colors, and patterns are a great way to add color to your life. I like floral, geometrical and conversational patterns a lot. Have a thing for children's patterns, maybe because I'm all for character design.

How would you describe your style?
My stile is colorful, happy and inspired by nature. I see a difference between my work as an illustrator and as a pattern designer. Let's say I'm more "grown up" when it comes to my patterns, but I'm always driven to color.
Where do you find inspiration? Do you follow trends?
Like I said before I'm inspired by nature, I guess that's one of my biggest inspirations. But I'm also inspired by books, animation, and things that I see in everyday life. The culture of my home country is really important to me as well because it's so unique and beautiful. I don't tend to follow trends, but I guess since we're exposed to them a lot this will come out in your work somehow. But I wouldn't design something just because everybody else is doing it, both in terms of theme and style.

What color palettes do you prefer?
I like bright, bold colors. I specially like yellow and water hues, but that changes from time to time.
When you design, do you do it thinking of a final product? Which market would you like your designs to be on?
Sometimes...it depends. I would love to see my designs on toys, wallpaper and clothes. I wouldn't like to see them on disposable stuff.

Which Design tool can't you leave without?
Illustrator.
What has been your greatest achievement so far? Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
With surface design I would say a line of wall decals I did for a Montreal based company called Adzif. In 5 years I see myself illustrating beautiful books and making my own products with my designs. I would also love to be working with children and art at the same time, that makes me happy.

Who is your favorite surface pattern designer? Why?
Everyday I find a new designer that I love. There's a lot of talented people out there. But I love Helen Dardik's work. It's a perfect mix between floral and characters, with a folk and ludic quality that I like a lot. In my perception her patterns tell stories of magical places, like a fairy tale.
Where can we find more of your work and products?
I have a website, a blog, and you can find my wall decals and other products here.

I hope you've enjoyed getting to know Maira a bit better. Don't forget to check the other places you can find her (above!) :D You'll find some more beautiful and happy patterns and also adorable children's book illustrations!