Monday, May 13, 2013

SPD RedCarpet // Polly Taylor


Good morning everyone!

Welcome to SPD RedCarpet, the series dedicated to surface pattern designers and their work. Today's guest is Polly Taylor.

Hi Polly, tell us a bit about yourself.
I'm originally from Devon, a bit of a country bumpkin! I studied in the country as well, at Somerset College in Taunton. I moved to London last September to follow my dreams in the big city. I've done work placements with independent designers such as Petra Green, Jane Foster, and family-run businesses such as MissPrint and Jen Rowland.


What is it that you like about patterns and which one is your favorite pattern style?

I love abstract and geometric patterns. Nothing too floral - I believe it is time to move away from floral prints!


How would you describe your style?

I would describe my style as bold, colourful, bright, positive, abstract, flowing, inky, organic, exciting.



Where do you find inspiration? Do you follow trends?

I do keep an inquisitive eye on interior trends, but I try not to let them dictate my work as such, and rather go with what I like at the time. I get my inspiration from an innumerable amount of sources but mainly from maps, bird's eye views of land, geographical faults, signs, the illusion of texture, ideas of movement within the chosen medium and how this can be applied to a surface, all using the idea of looking at things from a different perspective.


What color palettes do you prefer?

I love to experiment all the time with colour, but favourite colour combinations of mine have to be yellow and grey, blue and orange, red and green, pink and turquoise.


When you design, do you do it thinking of a final product? Which market would you like your designs to be on?

I do tend to keep a product in mind when designing, for example I knew I wanted my screen-printed cushions to be cushions, but also I like to keep an open mind about what else I could apply the same design to, e.g. greetings cards or curtains.


Which Design tool can't you live without?

I can't live without my digital camera! If I see something that inspires me I have to take a photo of it straight away.


What has been your greatest achievement so far? 

My greatest achievement was showcasing my work at New Designers at the end of June, and coming second in the Absolut Blank competition from 100+ applicants. 


What's your favourite patterned object? Why?

This scarf designed by the lovely Petra Green of Room39 who I was lucky enough to do a work placement with in October. I love the striking black and white design with flecks of colour.
 

Who is your favourite surface pattern designer? 
Petra Green and I also love the new range of cushions by Boeme.

I hope you've enjoyed getting to know Polly a bit better. If you are interested, you can see more of her work here, buy her striking products here, and read her blog here :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment... it is always nice to read them! :D